Tumblelog by Soup.io
Newer posts are loading.
You are at the newest post.
Click here to check if anything new just came in.
fireexpert14543

Fire Safety Especially Important For Seniors

However, Johnathan Fuqua, fire safety educator for the Covington Fire Department, said care should be taken when using space heaters. The first thing he advises is to make sure the space heater is Underwriters Laboratories listed and that it has a tip-over feature on it. Some other basic tips about using space heaters is to always keep a 3-foot barrier around the heater and shut the heater off if you leave the room, Fuqua said. He also said not to plug the space heater into an extension cord, but to plug it directly into an outlet in the wall. When turning on the furnace for the first time in months, many people will detect a light smoke smell due to dust build-up. Usually the dust buildup will burn off, but if you smell something, check your vents for smoke and if the smell doesnt dissipate, call us, Fuqua said. If youre ever in doubt, call us. If you ever think you might have a fire, call us. Turning on a space heater or the furnace will keep a home warm, but many people also want to enjoy the ambience of a fire in the fireplace. Fuqua advises that before the first fire is lit, people should have the chimney cleaned. I suggest that people have their chimney cleaned every year by a certified chimney sweep, he said, pointing out that creosote builds up and can stick to the walls of the chimney. Chimney fires which are more common in prefabricated chimneys than in brick ones, he said are typically caused by build up of creosote, which is flammable, burning the wrong materials or overloading the fireplace, creating a fire that is too big. For example, Fuqua said people should not burn soft wood, like pine, because it builds up creosote in the chimney. Hard wood, like oak, has a lower chance of building up creosote. Its also important to remember to open the flue, Fuqua said. If you forget to open the flue, there is no way for the smoke to escape. He also said to make sure to only burn appropriate materials in a fireplace and to never use lighter fluid, gasoline or diesel fuel to start fireplace fires. Fuqua advised that a spark screen be placed in front of the fireplace and to make sure the fire is extinguished before going to sleep at night. The smell of smoke will not wake you up, he said. It has been proven by statistics that your senses lapse when youre asleep. This is also the season the kitchen will be in full swing as families prepare for holiday gatherings. Rockdale County Fire and Rescue Fire Safety Educator Lt. Chris Kozikowski offers some reminders for safe cooking. For example, he said, never leave cooking food unattended, and keep a lid nearby to smother small fires that could develop in pans, such as grease fires. Dont wear loose sleeves while working over hot stove burners, Kozikowski stated in a press release. Not only can they catch on fire from hot burners, but they can get caught on handles of pots and pans, spilling hot oil and other liquids.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.newtoncitizen.com/news/2013/nov/18/fire-safety-officials-offer-tips-for-staying-safe/

14, the mountain community's fire chief said. A Text Size Comments ( ) Idyllwilds fire chief is warning residents to keep combustibles away from heat sources and make sure that they have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed in their homes. Just before 1 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 14, the Idyllwild Fire Protection District received a report of a structure fire in the 54400 block of Strawberry Valley Drive, a news release by Chief Patrick Reitz states. One resident was awake and used a garden hose to extinguish the fire, which started outside, the release stated. A pile of raked leaves and other debris had been piled too close to the exterior vent for an interior propane heater, Reitz said by phone. The rental residence did not have working smoke detectors. Fire damage was limited to the area around the heater and smoke damage throughout the home. Reitz said he knows first hand the value of the detectors. I actually had a carbon monoxide detector save my life, he said. It happened some years ago while he was in Oregon, he said. The exterior cap for a wood stove became plugged and the detector went off when carbon monoxide began to accumulate in the residence. Latest Headlines
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.pe.com/local-news/riverside-county/hemet/hemet-headlines-index/20131118-idyllwild-fire-safety-warning-issued.ece

Signal rescuers from a window with a light-colored cloth. Stop, Drop, and Roll. If any part of you catches fire, do not run and do not try to extinguish the flames with your hands. Cover your face with your hands. Drop to the ground, rolling over and over. If you have a disability that prevents your taking these actions, try to keep a flame-resistant blanket or rug nearby to smother any flames. Fire and Scald Prevention Cooking. Never leave the stove unattended while cooking. If you need to step away from the stove, turn it off. Wear tight-fitting clothing when cooking, and keep towels and potholders away from contacting the heat source. If food or grease catches fire, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the heat. Do not try to use water to extinguish a grease fire. When deep-frying, never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil or fat. If the oil starts to smoke, it is too hot. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the oil. Never put foil or other metals in the microwave. Make sure the stove is kept clean and free of grease buildup. Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove so they cannot be knocked off or pulled down. Check the interior of the oven for stored items before turning it on. Electrical Safety. Electric blankets should conform to the appropriate standards and have overheating protection. Do not wash blankets repeatedly as this can damage their electrical circuitry. If an appliance begins to smell suspicious or emit smoke, unplug it immediately. Replace all frayed or broken electrical cords. Never use an appliance with exposed wires. Never overload extension cords, and keep them out of traffic areas. Use only electrical devices evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Smoking. If choosing to smoke, consider smoking outdoors. Never smoke in bed.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://maryland.newszap.com/crisfieldsomerset/127275-92/fire-safety-especially-important-for-seniors

Don't be the product, buy the product!

Schweinderl